Monday, October 02, 2006

My Birthday BBQ.

Every Wednesday night I go religiously out country dancing, and when I’m not out on the floor dancing, I’m usually sitting next to Ray. It’s a funny thing but I’m always very happy sitting there -- just hanging out. Although I’m social and will pick-up a conversation if you come and chat with me, I’m just as happy watching folks dance as I sit right along side Ray.

Wendy, Ray’s wife, comes on and off the dance floor to chat with us. And my friend Ron makes his rounds checking in periodically. These folks are the touchstones of my Wednesdays out. I enjoy the easy conversation with them and we always find a reason to laugh and smile.

They came out to my house yesterday for a BBQ and brought their two kids. Ron was there and did the grilling. He also brought me two lovely chrysanthemums. I was delighted!

All the special people in my life showed up for this little get together. Jerrie and her sister Deb were here — fun loving gals, full of good nature and ready laughter — my brother and his wife (oh, and Nick their dog too).

Andrea my sister-in-law told folks the story of how she and Joe met. It’s such a good one and I could hear it a million times…that the house I have now used to belong to my brother. And how after he met his neighbor (Andrea), they fell in love. Now they live two houses down in what was Andrea’s house and is now Joe and Andrea’s happily ever after!

Pat and Cheryl were here and added a zing of color to the affair with bright colorful shirts that match their out looks on life. Kind-hearted, wonderful people, who when I see them, I go and get big hugs from each. I met them also at Rush.

Another regular out there on Wednesday nights is Mike. When he showed up last night to my place I introduced him to my brother Joe because they have the sport of climbing in common. It’s a big passion for both guys. Now if they see each other out there climbing they will recognize each other.

We ate lots of food and drank the wine my neighbor next door gave us to enjoy, and topped off the night with a fabulous cake my roommate Sri made for the occasion. Sri was surrounded last night by all us country dance people and wasn’t bother a bit by my sporadic dashes to the music to turn it up when I heard a favorite song playing.

Jack brought his little dog Annabelle and that completed my party. Out of the group he was the only Tango dancer there. The group wanted to see us dance but we were stuffed from all that food and cake and happy just to sit and talk. I so delight in Jack’s friendship. He makes himself at home in any setting or group of people. Is it any wonder he is such a likeable guy?

Some of us remembered last years BBQ. There were only five of us for that one, Jerrie, Ron, Pat, Cheryl and I. I was so weak they all pitched in setting things up and putting everything away – even doing my dishes! We compared notes to how I was doing at this time last year and what an improvement. Life is soooo good now -- wow!!!

What they didn’t know was that the year before that one my BBQ consisted of only family members and no friends came out for that. Really there were very few friends back then anyway since I had just starting getting out of the house around that time.

Oh, my! Joy has just spilled out into my life and I’m ever thankful for the good friends I have found along the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home