Pain Knows Pain.
I ran into a dear and most enjoyable dance partner I hadn’t seen since last spring. Ever since a life threatening surgery he had never been the same and seldom comes out dancing. I kissed him on the neck and gave him a giant hug, trying with all my might to give him my love and life force energy.
If it worked, if he felt uplifted or benefited from it, I don’t know. What I do know is how incredibly awful it is to loose your vitality and strength, to look in the mirror and see yourself shrinking away. Trying with all your might not to let the despair show in your eyes when you step out among all those healthy vital people who will never understand what you have lost.
I cried when I wrote this just remembering and feeling so deeply for this man! There was a time when he was non-stoppable out on that dance floor, and seeing I couldn’t handle another dance would help me to the nearest chair, making sure I was okay. Now he leans on me as I hug him instead of the other way around. Life can be so cruel!
In that moment his pain was my pain.
A lovely tall tango dancer once told me, “Pain knows pain”. She and I had seen each other out on the dance floor but never really talked, the day we finally did, she asked me about my back and how it was doing. I was amazed and asked her why she asked about my back. And that‘s when she said that pain knows pain. She could tell I was in a world of hurt. I really thought I was hiding it well.
But you know she’s right, I see it in people too all around me. Whether I’m more sensitive now to it or what, it’s true I can see who’s doing well and who isn’t. Sometimes they’re not even aware of it themselves I don't think.
For any of you, my dear friends, hurting or struggling today, my love goes out to you! Find peace from where ever you can and joy in something simple. It will help lighten your load and soothe your frustration.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home