The Man in the Moon.
Last night we celebrated the Mid Autumn Festival. (Or Moon Cake Festival) My roommate and my tango partner are both Chinese so we decided to mark the occasion.
Your supposed to eat moon cake, drink strong tea, and make a wish while looking up at the moon. If the Man in the Moon favors you, he will grant your wish. My kind of holiday -- eat lots of food and gaze at the moon.
Sri, unfortunately, was feeling under the weather so she decided not to join us but was kind enough to pick up some rice and bean sprouts on her way back from the chiropractor’s office.
So it just ended up being Jack and myself. I made some red lanterns and hung them across our dining table to make it more festive and Jack brought the food. The meal was simple to prepare but we laughed at ourselves because what should have taken us thirty minutes took us double the time.
We had spring rolls and prawns with snow peas. It was a great meal. My buddy is great company and loves to talk. He had wonderful festival stories of his childhood –- running around with his Chinese lantern all over the place, and being upset when he had so much fun with it, it was demolished.
But his most favorite memory was of his first kiss at a Moon Cake Festival -- he and she together under the moonlight kissing as they lay on their backs in the grass. Showered by the moon’s brilliance they fell asleep side by side, the sky above their heads.
It was to late to go dancing when we’d finally finished our meal so we went out on the deck and made our wishes to the moon. The night was a bright and clear one, what a sight that moon made! Jack said, “Okay, Jean make your wish”, and we were both silent.
I made mine and Jack throws out his arms and hollers up, “Bring me money – lots of money!” We were laughing so hard at that. Telling each other, “Wouldn’t it be great to have all that money?”
Jack would travel the world with his and I would go to every Tango festival far and wide.
Actually my moonlight wish was a weak one because I realized I was content and really had nothing big to wish for. It was the usual kind of wish you’d make under a full moon, one for romantic love to yet again rock my world. I’m certain my wish was heard loud and clear because I swear I saw the Man looking down at me with a smile on his face.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home