Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I Can Hear You But I Still Don't Get It.

Well it’s official the bell ringers are out in force again for the holidays! Yes and the mumbly old man that rings at RC Dicks is in his usual spot. Try as I may I have yet to figure out what in the world he is saying. Last year when I saw this man ringing bells, I put money in his pot each time I passed him and seriously tried to figure out what he was trying to tell me. But as time wore on and my inability to understand him became more apparent, I took various tactics to cover those difficulties.

At first there was a good amount of smiling and nodding and well wishing. Also quite a bit of “What was that?” and more nodding and smiling. When he was on break inside the store, he was about with his white cane. I wondered is he blind? As the weeks wore on I tried simply waving a bit as I went by but felt foolish because if he is blind well how silly am I? Eventually I grew tired of being forced to greet this old odd fellow each week at the door of the store. I finally took to avoidance at every opportunity.

It is a new year and once again I am faced with this unintelligible bell ringer. I find myself ducking through the door as quickly as possible as he loudly mumbles whatever it is he has on his mind. He has wore me down. And to my growing discomfort his efforts to get my small donations has gone on unflaggingly as he loudly greets me. I have become paranoid in my guessing at what he could possibly be saying. He addresses me straight faced through white scraggly bearded lips. It no longer seems all that cheerful as he eyes me and I yet again slip past him.

Reaching for my keys to unlock the truck, I try my best to figure out what he is calling to a lady passing by. I have no idea and imagine he is announcing in perplexity to all passers bye that he is tired of these one sided conversations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home