Saturday, October 07, 2006

Who Needs the Directions?!


Sri is still laughing. I was proudly telling her how Jack and I cooked our meal. That while I was boiling the shrimp…she says, “What?!” “You don’t boil shrimp!” and grabs the cookbook to look at the recipe.

She reads it to me, “Devein prawns and boil the heads and shells for 15 minutes, strain and save half a cup of the broth”.

And for emphasis again she repeats, “Boil the heads and sheeelllls”. We laughed so hard. Then I look at her and said maybe that’s why Jack was so confused when we still had to cook them again later in the recipe!!

I am notorious for not reading directions. In my sewing classes before I picked up the directions I’d start trying to figure out which pieces got sewn to which and start sewing them. My sewing teacher looking at my handy work had made the comment, “I don’t see how you could get this from this”. Pointing from the sewing project to the instructions. At which point I told her, “Oh I didn’t read the directions, it looked that these pieces should go together”.

Up to that point I thought sewing was a blast. You cut out the pieces and then like a big puzzle you get to figure out how to put it together. Too funny! After that sewing just lost its fun factor.

I tell Sri about this tumultuous past of mine with directions and we laugh some more.

Could you imagine if I had gone into medicine…me as a surgeon? **Hum, this looks like this should be connected to this…**

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home