Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Traveling out to the Thorps is always an exciting trip for me. Just the anticipation of seeing so many of my friends at these clinics can keep me up all night many days before hand. One of the most amazing things I got to do out at Windrush farms was to meet John Gedye from Australia.

A quiet, friendly man, this John Gedye. Good natured and extremely generous in kind words about all of our dogs. On our first day he spoke about how he’d had a dog that wasn’t particularly the best herding dog in the world but how he loved that dog. How it didn’t matter what that dog did, he’d worked with that dog anyway. This immediately endeared me to him on the spot.

And this set a tone for the rest of the clinic. It was a clear message that he would be straight forward with what we had in our dogs but also respect the fact that they are much loved by us and that he would respect us no matter what talented or non-talented dog we brought with us into the field.

More then anything, John made sure each and everyone of us was met and talked to. He mingled and made a point to have a conversation with each and every one there. I was so thrilled that such a man would actually seek me out for a little chat. How I wished I was a better conversationalist! We didn’t talk about much. I’m not a big chatter but he made such an effort to take time to know a little about me before moving on around the room.

I’ve been to tons of seminars and clinics and the clinician’s never actually walked up to me for a conversation or to ask me about my dogs. (That is of course does not include Mr. Bob, my dear friend and mentor)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home