Friday, December 30, 2005

Dogs and Doldrums

With a mighty crack the Chiropractor put my neck back into alignment. It took me by surprise. I didn’t expect the pain. “Shit, I whispered as I tried to breathe through the waves of pain it released down my spine. Then put my hand over my mouth. Ooops.

A tear escaped down my face. I’m going to feel so much better come later this afternoon though. Oh happy day -- ready for more dancing, and getting out and about. That was the plan.

My Chiropractor has learned how to be very careful with me. He massages my neck and I smile as he says, “You, my dear are just having too much fun out there aren’t you.” “Yes,” I say, “I use to dance in my head and now I’m doing it for real out on the floor”. I will never take any of it for granted ever again. Down to the simple ability to hold my head up, any of it!

I’ve been down for the count today. I still don’t sleep on nights when I’ve gone out dancing. I should not be so greedy, yet I sit here wishing I could go out jogging in the snow. I miss jogging -- it clears my head. I do my best thinking jogging.

My “are we there yet?” dog, Junior, is sitting and staring at me. He is always wandering around impatient, waiting for action. He just can’t sit still. He really is a funny dog. By the dog’s water dish upstairs I have a pitcher full of water I use to fill the dish when it gets empty. Junior has decided he likes drinking out of that instead of the dog dish. I laugh so hard to watch this dog. He’s actually thought about his preference over using the dog dish.

He’ll put his nose in the dish, then think better of it and stick his nose down inside the pitcher. His head JUST fits. For some reason he likes that he has to do this so carefully as not to knock over the pitcher. Even if there is only a slight amount of water in the bottom he will stretch out his neck and try to reach it before ever considering using the dog dish that’s sitting right there full!

This is the dog that will crawl under the bed to retrieve a ball for Shorty. Shorty is to big to fit under there so Junior, seeing Shorty wants the ball, will wiggle himself on his belly skooching under the bed until he can secure the ball, and pull it back out. He then drops it in front of Shorty and walks away. I find these dogs the most co-operative one’s I’ve ever known. They are so smart, thank god they use their knowledge for good and not evil.

I think Junior would make a great dog version of Lex Luther though, with his black face and very sharp white teeth grinning wickedly at Superman. Hummm, I could use some super powers myself. I catch myself reflecting on red capes and tights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home