How Much Sleep Did You Get Christmas Eve?
Over the holidays my roommates and I turned into nocturnal creatures of the night. Baking into the wee hours of the morning, out dancing till one or two and coming home to watch late night TV to unwind, all of us have been up each night until around three a.m. for several days in a row now.
Christmas Eve day we had mass quantities of food and shared each other’s company. Into the evening Sri toiled at making both her famous flourless chocolate cake, and a tort with Kailua for two separate meals she was invited to Christmas day.
At one in the morning Jack showed up to celebrate Christmas Eve, which had now turned into Christmas day. He, Monica and I commenced to enjoy Christmas by watching Johnny Depp in “Pirates of the Caribbean”. Eating chocolate and drinking wine, we sat into the early morning in my room watching movies. As always I happily manned my post. (Which is my bed -- amidst pillows, blankets, and dogs) Monica had the chair beside the bed with Junior to cuddle while Jack sat on the futon with his dog Annabelle.
It was a very fun evening indeed. But by three o’clock I was dying for sleep and could hardly keep my eyes open. Monica had already jumped ship an hour earlier and Jack, the night owl that he was, was quite awake to the end.
Sometime past three we went to bed -- the dogs in their kennels, Jack lightly snoring on the futon, and me, dreaming under my covers. I dreamed that we didn’t get any sleep that night because we never fell asleep, and that in the morning Jack got up and his clothes were so wrinkled I knew I would have to iron them before he caught his flight to his Grandma’s house. I remember telling my Mom, who was in the dream, “We didn’t get any sleep last night” and thinking about how tired I was.
In the morning when Jack had to leave to catch his flight, I asked him if I’d snored in my sleep and he said, “No, but you mumbled!” Hah, I bet you anything I was mumbling about how we weren’t getting any sleep -- too funny!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home