Friday, January 19, 2007

A Most Unpleasant Situation.

It was a most interesting morning. Jack had to evict his tenant today and I was there to take Jack’s place to fill out the inventory sheets. Since Jack wasn’t allowed to take anymore time off from work for this he asked for my help. It was no problem.

So at 8:00 this morning I was at Jack’s place. He and I both decided to help his tenant, Lance, who knew the Sheriff was coming at nine, moved as much of his stuff as possible. As Lance pointed out things that were going in his truck, the trash, or for donation we moved as much as we could before the Sheriff arrived.

What a mess. With compassion we helped Lance move his things in this most unpleasant situation. He maybe a mess and make bad choices but we can still treat him humanely.

All that was left was inventoried and locked up to be stored in the basement and the sheds outside. We loaded as much as we could of Lance’s stuff in his truck and then Lance was locked out.

I wonder at how Jack hadn’t considered all the junk this man might possibly be leaving behind. I counted from my inventory not one but five heavy metal desks that this guy had no intention of keeping. Taking these things to the dump will be a bitch and costly at that. The old computer left in the closet alone will cost around $25 to get rid of. I have no idea if there is a separate fee for the monitor.

As the sheriff chatted with me he said, “You must have done this before.” And well of course I hadn’t and I told him so. It’s just that it was obvious what needed doing and I got right to making sure that Jack understood ALL Lances things must be inventoried and that Jack could not throw any of it away for 60 days. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet that Jack is stuck with all this stuff for that long.

Jack should never have allowed this stuff to be stored on his premises but to be impounded. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home